Wednesday 27 November 2019

Past artworks ....taking stock


                              MaTeRiALiTY?

Recently taking stock and re-organising some of my works, I came across these few experimental photo shop images, which I thought I would share some ideas about them with you.


Titled 'Materiality?' the series of works originally started as large experimental installations; created from discarded plastic photographic materials which were then manipulated through photo shop to get the images below.

At the time I was shifting between project ideas. And becoming increasingly interested in the effects of human activity upon ecosystems. The ideas were initially inspired through my involvement with The World Land Trust as an art student early 2013.

The Late Frans Krajcberg (an artist I discovered via TWLT ) worked tirelessly as an eco-activist from the 1970s onwards. He created sculptured installations rendered from the charred remains of Amazon trees. Krajcbergs, inspiring, powerful, poignant artwork is a constant reminder of the ongoing need to protect the Amazonian rain forests. Check him out if you get chance, his quotes concerning ecology have a depth and beauty that would resonate with all who are concerned about climate change issues. 

The growing realisation concerning the eco-chaos caused by human activity -  particularly in the Amazon rain forests - felt like a wake up call.Although I had an appreciation for nature, I had no idea of the extent of the impact human beings were having on the planets eco-systems. Challenged further by my own disconnection and misunderstandings, the last few years my projects have focused on exploring the effects we are having upon all life forms...

It has been heartening to experience the current new wave of deeper understanding of this topic that is now emerging through the likes of Greta Thunberg and the now growing Global Extinction Rebellion Groups; As we collectively start to grasp the severity of climate change we are now immersing ourselves in finding solutions, to reverse the damage, in positively pro-active ways - for the good of all of Earths life forms. 

These works Materiality, consider the cumulative impact of Western consumer culture.They represent the idea of human alienation from the 'natural' order of our place in the world. Into a matrix of synthetic identity .With the urban -  the man made. 

Although for a time we have been blinded by our capitalist stimulated desires, now we are waking up to the environmentally destructive consequences of perpetual economic growth and consumptions. The consequences are, depleted natural resources and toxic emissions -This unsustainable approach becoming obvious to us all.

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”Aldo Leopold, The Sand County Almanac 

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/43828.Aldo_Leopold


Frans Krajcberg said...."As a human being, I am completely completely connected to nature. My existence, my life, my culture – is the natural environment. My survival and my creativity depend on it. The knowledge about the destruction of environment pushed me into a huge rebellion, which I express through my work. For over forty years, I have been working, fighting, and condemning the acts of destruction.

https://culture.pl/en/artist/frans-krajcberg ( a great article about Frans Krajcberg)


Materiality I



Materiality II

MaterialityIII

Materiality V



2 comments:

  1. Hello Yvonnes. I am a PASTOR from Mumbai, INDIA. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in the art work. Your post does display the beautiful art work which is a modern art work. I love to get connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the PASTORAL Ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time as well as visit the places where ancient art work is worth seeing.I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is:dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Diwakar, hello to you and wow! what a wonderful message I have recived from you!( : thank you for your encouraging words. What an important ministry you are doing in reaching out to those in desperate situations, God Bless you in all you are doing and bringing love and healing to those brokenhearted. Mumbai sounds a facinating place with great heritage in anceint art too.Thank you for contacting me with this encouragement.Have you a web page on your ministry, Kind regards Yvonne

    ReplyDelete